Thursday, September 21, 2017

What do you know about your school?

What happens to students at Diablo Valley College?

First, let's look at some statistics from 2013:

DVC has a total enrollment of 20,286 students - 52 percent were women, 48 percent were men.

DVC is pretty ethnically diverse. While 44 percent of students were white, 22% of students were Latino, 15 percent Asian, and six percent were African American. Minority enrollment is 64 percent of the total student body.

Most students at DVC (64 percent) are between the ages of 18-24, while 32 percent were between the ages of 25 to 64.

Scholarships or grant awards are received by one-third of students totaling about $2,477.

DVC costs $1,288 for in-state residents, while out-of-state students pay $7,925 - that's a 515% increase (2015/2016) - that's a topic for another post.

"The total tuition and living expense budget for in-state California residents to go to DVC is $19,750 for the 2015/2016 academic year. Out-of-state students who don't have California residence can expect a one year cost of $26,386. Students residing at home with parents providing food and housing should budget a total cost of $7,386."

DVC offers over 40 areas of study . . .

So where will you end up?

The latest statistics on this are from 2009/2010. The most popular destination was California State University, East Bay with 287 transfers. Berkeley was next with 240 transfers. San Francisco State University accepted 198 DVC transfers, while the University of California, Davis was the destination for 172. Many others went to other CSUs or UCs.

So once you get accepted to that school of your dreams what exactly do you want to do? Before you answer that question, go the The Bureau of Labor Statistics and look up the wage data for that occupation.

So where do you want to complete your studies and what is your major? Do you feel that the costs you will have to pay to get to your occupation are worth it? Is there a cheaper way to accomplish your career goals?

8 comments:

  1. I mostly want to major in Business marketing but might settle on business economic. It is hard for me to think is it worth it or not. The only thing I know this is my last chance as a student or in my life, since I failed a lot of time in my life. However, It is hard to calculate worth it or not. The only thing I know is that if we try our best on everything, every option worth a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to major in Nursing and I want to complete it at CSUEB because of the fact that they have a great program. The cost for going to the school is totally worth it! It is so much cheaper than other universities and have a great graduation rate. For my goals, this is the cheapest way and also one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My major is Nursing and I want to complete my studies in CSUEB. It will be enough since nurses have a pretty good salary.There is no cheapest way, CSUEB is a great choice to pursue nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dud't really get the concept of this post, I thought it was just going to be pros and cons of going to college. Going off of what it was actually talking about, t is worth going to college for me because so far, i am not paying anything out of pocket for school because of scholarships and grants. Also, even if i wasn't getting scholarships and grants, i would be able to pay off my debt with my job as a nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to complete my studies at Cal State East Bay, i'm currently interested in nursing. If that doesn't work out, I would at least want to be somewhere in the medical field. I feel that the cost is worth my occupation because it's not something you can easily get into, it takes hard work and a lot of time. I had an opportunity to go to Unitek to become an LVN for a 16 month program but I decided to stay at East Bay since I already got accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My major is Nursing, I want to become a Neonatal-Nurse working in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). I do feel that the costs I have to pay is worth it because I will be making good money and by the time I am finish with school I will be able to pay off all my debt. I believe that money should not be a limit to your goals. At the end of the day, you pay a price for everything so why not pay the price to do something you LOVE for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Areej Abed
    I am currently majoring in Health Science and would not mind completing my education here at California State University. Although the costs could be very expensive, I do think it is worth it all in the end. My major is pretty broad, therefore I can branch out with whatever it is I want to do. There are definitely cheaper alternatives to accomplish my career goals, for example going to a community college for two years then transferring. However, doing so I know I would get easily distracted from my studies because I would not take it as serious as I take CSUEB. I am hoping to graduate in four years with my Bachelor's degree then hopefully get my Master's.

    ReplyDelete