Monday, November 13, 2017

Tourists through Time

Have you ever thought about where the ancients went on vacation? Jude Knight over at English Historical Fiction has and its surprising where the first tourists with the time and money went for fun and adventure.

People began touring as soon as there was some place to go. From Egypt to Mesopotamia people began to travel just to see new things like the latest pyramid or temple.

Romans set up beach resorts, the rich headed up to the cooler northern climes to escape the summer heat and everyone traveled to the big city to see the sights.

In Medieval Europe, pilgrimages became all the rage and these took on a religious fervor and devotion. Everyone wanted to see the holy land - and these trips could last for months, if not years. Accommodations could be found at local inns or abbeys and, rumor has it, that the Knights Templar acted as a security force for devout travellers.

Once in Jerusalem you could purchase a holy relic or even something more permanent, like a tattoo. Rozzouk Tattoo has been servicing Christian pilgrims since 1300 in the old city.

Beginning in the Renaissance, people of wealth and privilege have been making the grand tour. This was usually conducted by young men after they had completed their schooling and, again, these tours could last for months. Young women, on the other hand, might find themselves in Paris or London under chaperone for a shorter period of time.

After the Napoleonic Wars tourism took off. "The English flooded out across Europe, in a tourist boom that gathered pace and continued until the First World War. From England alone, the volume of travel grew from 10,000 in 1814 to 250,000 in 1860, to one million in 1911."

Today, we travel everywhere. No longer bound by cart, ship or foot, we can hop into the nearest plane (after a long line in your local airport) and go anywhere in the world in less than 24 hours. Where would you like to go in the future? What kind of adventures are in store for you?

10 comments:

  1. I would love to go to Rome in the future. There is so much history there and it would be amazing to be able to stand where it all took place. Ever since the sixth grade when I first learned about the Roman Coliseum I knew I had to see it myself. I would also love to travel to Seattle, Washington and Oregon. I have heard great things about both and I would like to experience it first hand. Another place I would like to visit would be Florida so that I could go to Disney World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing to learn how long tourism has been around. Dating all the way back to the time the pyramids were built in ancient Egypt. I myself would love to visit other states such as Oregon or Georgia. As for other countries Brazil and Japan are my top choices for travel destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved travelling. I would like to backpack through Europe one day, experiencing their culture and learning about their history. I would also love to road trip around North America and hope to be doing that soon. From Florida to Alaskan, only would i experience the individualism of each state, I would also be able to go to Canada for the first time as i have heard many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty incredible how far we have come in technology that allows us to travel the world in less than 24 hours. I think if i was able to travel the world the one place I really want to go is New Zealand. It has always been a dream of mine to go backpacking in New Zealand and experience the wonderful scenery that New Zealand has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to travel Europe, especially Sweden, Denmark, and Germany. I took a class about architecture and want to take a tour to see famous architecture and see them in real life instead of just in class. I also want to visit Boston, since my favorite basketball team is the Celtics. I want to go to a Boston home game once in my life. Other than that I would love to go to the Caribbean, or see South America.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to UK so I hope that I can go there someday. I feel like England has so many things to offer. It feels the same as the US but different in a way. I'm sure I won't be having language troubles too which is a plus. Although rumors about the weather might not be very supportive, I would still like to visit it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t imagine the time when people need to actually walk from places to places. Nowadays it's just easy to travel around the world. In the future I would love to explore my home country Indonesia, Indonesia have almost 19,000 islands. The one I wanted to visit the most is an island called Pulau Padar, I have several friends that went there and their pictures were amazing. But to go there I need to spend a night on a boat and hike few hours. On the way there I could do some stargazing and snorkeling too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to go to Japan because I've always love Japanese Food and I heard from my friends who have visited Japan that the Japanese food in Japan taste way better than the ones sold in America or Indonesia. I want to visit Japan in spring because that is the cherry blossom season. I also want to visit the beautiful temples and shrines in Kyoto, Japan. Lastly, I want to visit the Disney Park in Tokyo because I've been to nearly every Disney Parks in the world except the one in Tokyo and Anaheim and I always love Disney Parks because it brings nostalgic feelings as if I'm my younger self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is interesting how far society has come, where we had to travel by carts or carriages. Now, we are able to travel by planes, trains, bus, and cars. Traveling has not changed much either, even with advancing technology, people of course need money. This article talked mainly about how much people with a lot of money are able to travel more due to this. Which is still true today, even with traveling, there is a lot of money that people use when they are on vacation. So the more rich someone is, the money is still accounted for when it comes to trips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mursal Mousumi

    I can't live my life without a car, l love driving around discovering new places; for example, one time I accidentally took the back road to Sacramento and it was a whole other world. I'm excited for the Hyperloop to be built since it's a train that takes you from San Francisco to LA in just half an hour. I would love to go basically everywhere on the map. My future journeys comes with the Hyperloop to take me to my favorite city, my car for road trips, a plane to take me to the skies and a cruise ship to take me through the oceans.

    ReplyDelete